If you require assistance from another person or your dog while travelling, the Free Carer Card is available free of charge to your carer.

  • upon presenting this card, your carer travels free of charge
  • your travel ticket is also valid for your carer
  • your carer travels free of charge in the same class and on the same route as you

Do you need personal assistance? Make use of our B For You Service.

Need to apply for a card?

You can claim a Free Carer Card if you are unable to travel alone due to one of the following disabilities:

  • reduced independent mobility based upon at least 12 points according to the level of independent mobility evaluation guide
  • at least 80% permanent disability or incapacity to work 
  • permanent disability in the lower limbs causing a disability rate of at least 50%
  • total paralysis or amputation of the upper limbs
  • a category-3 or higher integration allowance

At a ticket office during the opening hours of the station of your choice (the ticket office will then send your application to the competent department) or send your application to the following address, where it will be checked to ensure it meets the required conditions:

SNCB  Marketing & SALES
BUREAU Products - Free Carer Card
10-14 B-MS.132
Avenue de la Porte de Hal, 40 
1060 Brussels, Belgium

  1. The completed application form (French version PDF)
  2. A certificate issued by one of the following institutions:
    • The Department in charge of services for the disabled (Certificates Office) at the Ministry of Social Affairs, Public Health and the Environment
    • The authorities that have recognised a disability level
    • The insurers who pay compensation on the basis of a recognised disability level
    • The Occupational Accidents Fund (FAT/FAO)
    • The Fund for Occupational Diseases (FMP/FBZ)
    • Recognised welfare organisations who pay compensation to miners on the basis of a recognised disability level
    • The Ministry of Finance Pensions Department for people receiving a pension based on a recognised disability level
    • The organisations that award family allowances
    • The official bodies of European Union Member States that grant compensation, provided the equivalent status of their certificates has been recognised.

If you meet the relevant criteria, you will be asked to come and collect your Free Carer Card from the station of your choice, ensuring you provide:

  • a recent passport photograph
  • a processing fee of € 5
  • your electronic identity card
  • the application form approved by the Free Carer Card office
  • Submit a request to the Certificates Department of the Federal Public Service Social Security
  • Fill out documents 3 and 4, available from your local authority
  • Send them to the FPS Social Security Certificates Department. You will then be asked to attend a free medical check-up in order to obtain the certificate.

For an additional copy, you can send the application by simply writing to the FPS.